August 17, 2009

Parmesan Penne

I thought this would be great for dinner.... boy was I right! I really liked this a lot. Darin even said that he thought that my cooking improves a little every few years.... lol!

No step by step pictures today... didn't have enough time... have been rush rush rushing around all day but there is a final picture of the turnout!

Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef
1 med onion, chopped
1 28 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (i accidently used 2 cups mozzarella... just realized this! lol how funny... it was still good though)
1/2 tsp ground allspice
salt and pepper to taste
1 16oz package penne pasta
1/2 cup butter, cubed, divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Start a pot of water to boil for pasta and preheat oven to 350

In a large skillet, cook and stir beef and onion over med heat until meat is no longer pink; drain (i never do this). Stir in the tomato sauce, 1/3 cup cheese, allspice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat: simmer, uncovered for 15 min.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 min or until thickened. Remove from the heat, stir in 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Gradually whick in eggs until blended. (still laughing at the fact that I used mozzarella cheese)

Drain pasta. Add the remaining cheese and butter; toss to coat.... I thought that there was a ton of cheese... another recipe I was thinking about making used 2 cups mozzarella cheese... I just grabbed it because I got mixed up and thought when it said add remaining cheese to add all but the two 1/3 cups that I took out... lol... too funny!!!

ok.. back to the recipe!

Spread a third of the meat mixture in a greased 13"x9" backing dish. Layer with half of the pasta, a third of the meat mixture and half of the white sauce. Repeat layers

Bake uncovered at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly.

I obviously can't follow directions and layered this all wrong... thats what I get for trying to watch a movie, cook dinner and watch a 2 year old... lol... I did the pasta, meat, white sause, pasta mean white sauce meat!

Any wich way you do it, mozzarella or parmesan, the right layers or not, it was delicious. I will make this again for sure... maybe even the right way.... lol


No comments:

Post a Comment