February 25, 2011

Crockpot Applesauce

I got 2/3 a bushel of apples for $10 a couple of weeks ago, and I have been meaning to do something with them before they go bad. I plan on making some apple cobbler, apple tarts and who knows what else, but I have to admit that although I have planned on it, I have had no ambition to actually do anything yet.

Well, I came across this recipe and it sounded yummy, so I decided to make some crockpot applesauce. I doubled the recipe since I have so many apples, and I added a little nutmeg.

I ended up having to leave the house and do some things in town, and by the time I got home, the applesauce had been cooking 8 hours, rather than the suggested 4-6 (oops). I opened the door and the smell of it cooking hit me.... mmmmmm, it smelled soooo good.

I have to say, even though I think I overcooked it just a little, it still is delicious!

Here's the recipe:

Crockpot Applesauce


4 large apples, skinned ,cored, and cut in quarters
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 T brown sugar
1/4 cup water

Directions:

Dump all ingredients into the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. When apples are tender enough to mash with a fork, mash with potato masher or your fork.

My apples were pretty much already mush when I got home so I just had to stir them. There were few chunks to mush.

I did add a little more cinnamon and brown sugar as the applesauce was a little too tart for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment