January 30, 2010

Spicy Nacho Bake

This is what we had for dinner tonight...


Again, sorry for the poor picture, my phone doesn't take the best pictures and I didn't want to get out the camera... I had a very light lunch and I was hungry!!!!

This is a recipe that I got from my Taste of Home Church Supper Cookbook. I really like this issue. It is the most that I have ever paid for a magazine, $9.99 for one issue, but I am glad I did. I have liked every recipe but one that I have made from it.

I halved this recipe tonight as this makes 2 13x9 casseroles that contain 15 servings each.

Here is the recipe in full:

2 lbs ground beef
2 large onions, chopped
2 large green peppers, chopped
2 cans (28 oz ea) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans (15 1/2 oz ea) hot chili beans
2 cans (15 oz ea) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (8 oz) tomato sauce
2 envelopes taco seasoning
2 packagews (13 oz each) Spice Nacho Doritos
4 cups (16 oz) shredded cheddar cheese

In a Dutch over or large skillet (make sure you are using a large skillet not a frying pan), cook the beef, onions and green peppers over med heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, corn, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 min. (mixture will be thin).

In each of two greased 13x9" baking dishes, layer 5 cups of chips and 4-2/3 cups of meat mixture. Repeat layers. Top each with 4 cups of chips and 2 cups of cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 20-25 min or until golden brown.

I will make this again... I really liked it, however, I would skip the oven. I would rather eat it as a chip and dip or even as a nachos. I am not much for soggy chips. I like my chips crunchy. It was really good though and I will make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment