March 20, 2009

Tomato Bacon Tarts

I was watching Good Things Utah and they made these and they looked delicious, so I decided to give them a try.


Here's what they looked like before the oven:




Here they are fresh from the oven:
Here they are split in half to show the inside:
They smelled so delicious while they cooked. I couldn't wait to try them. They were good, but not quite what I expected. I felt there was too much onion and spices (maybe you are supposed to use fresh and not dry) and not enough bacon. I think they would be good with sausage too. I also think I should have cooked them a little longer, they were a little doughy, but not bad.
Here's the recipe if you would like to try them.. They were good, I will make them again, but with the slight modifications.

1 can of flaky refrigerator biscuits
2 med. tomatoes, chopped & seeded
1 T. mayonnaise
2 T. chopped basil (I used 1T of dry)1/2 of a medium onion, chopped very fine
6 oz. Mozzarella cheese, grated
8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 t. garlic
1/2 t. oregano (I used 1/2 dry, but think next time I will try 1/4 dry)

Preparation
Place a single biscuit into each cup of a lightly greased muffin pan and form to shape. (Really PUSH the biscuit to make it shape the muffin pan. Press it down firmly and on the sides too)
Mix all the ingredients together and fill each muffin. (Use all your toppings, don't be afraid to HEAP the biscuits)Bake according to biscuit instructions on package. (I used Grands flaky and it says 14-17 I cooked mine for 15 min 30 sec, but think next time I'll go the full 17 if not more)Makes 8 fabulous filled biscuits.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to try this recipe out, especially with sausage. Thanks for the BBQ tonight...I always love good food and good friends! My blog is Amy's Family Adventures but I am horrible at posting in a timely manner....:)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete