September 10, 2011

Spaghetti and Meatballs

This is my all time favorite meatball recipe. Yes, I seriously buy sausage links and take off the skin. The flavored sausage to me is what really makes the meatball. If I could find the brown sugar and honey sausage in a package, I would use it. However, I think they make it only in links. My sauce isn't as good as the sauce my little brother Chase makes, but it's good. I always tease him with my meatballs and his sauce, we'd make one heck of a spaghetti :-)

*I often freeze the meatballs to have on hand whenever. You can thaw them in the fridge then place back in the freezer for 10 min to firm them up before cooking.




Meatball Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef
1 lb brown sugar and honey sausage (I use the sausage in links and remove from casing)
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup Progresso bread crumbs (Italian style)
2 eggs
3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp milk
1/2 cup veg oil

Directions:

Combine meat, garlic, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, eggs, salt, pepper and milk. Mix together with hands. Roll into 1 1/2" balls and place on a plate or cookie sheet that will fit in your freezer for 10 min to firm up.

Heat veg oil in a heavy pot or skillet over medium-high heat. Add 5 meatballs at a time, turning to brown. Remove and drain on a paper towel after every batch. 

Spaghetti Sauce Ingredients:

1 large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp pepper
1 cup ketchup

Directions:

In the same pot used for meatballs, add onions and garlic and cook until tender and translucent. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, brown sugar, pepper, and ketchup. Stir to combine. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 min.

Add meatballs to the pot and stir gently to combine. Reduce heat to simmer and cook an additional 30 min, stirring gently every 10 min. 

Serve over cooked spaghetti with garlic bread and green beans.


photos from pioneerwoman

No comments:

Post a Comment