August 27, 2009

Baked Ziti Casserole

Tonight we are having Baked Ziti Casserole for dinner. I have been wanting to make this, but I had used all of the Mozzarella cheese on the Parmesan Penne I made last time and just barely got more.

1 16 oz Package ziti or small tube pasta
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 15 oz part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 28 oz meatless spaghetti sauce
2 cups (8 oz) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta, set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the egg, ricotta and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.

Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce in 13" x 9" baking dish coated with cooking spray
Top with a third of the pasta, half the ricotta mixture, 2/3 cup Mozzarella cheese, 1 Tablespoon Parmesan cheese and 1 cup sauce.Repeat layers of pasta, ricotta mixture and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Top with remaining pasta, sauce, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.Cover and bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes or until heated through.
I thought this turned out pretty okay. I will make it again, but will use my homemade spaghetti sauce instead of the canned. I like more flavor than the plain sauce added. I would use chicken or hamburger with this too. I thought it turned out rather well though.

3 comments:

  1. This looks really good, making me hungry.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, I love the suggestion you left about the bag in the corner with the pennies and water, I'll have to give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy..I think I will try it with hamburger!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a lot like the recipe I posted a few posts ago... that one had hamburger in it.... I liked it better! This one is good for vegaterians...

    ReplyDelete